Remove this ad

Perilla oil. Has anyone tried it?

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Jan 31 09 7:28 PM

Tags : :

I was doing some research on perilla oil recently and I am beginning to think it has some potential that can be discussed on this forum. Here's a list of some known ingredients in many of the oils that can be purchased.

Rosmeric acid
Apigenin
Luteolin
Fatty acids
Caffeic acid
Myristicin
Elemicin
(these are just off the top of my head)

Here is a list of some of the known uses

Anti allergenic
Anti inflammatory
COMPT inhibitor
Xanthine oxidase inhibitor
Monoamine transport activator
Antidepressant
Memory and concentration boosting effects

Information on this oil is limited so if anyone has any information at all on this particular oil, please post your info here. What are some good uses we may find for this oil?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

sativa

superstar

#2 [url]

Feb 7 09 2:44 AM

EVALUTE PERILLA AS DRUG AND FOOD

Perilla is herbal treasure on motherland, its leaves, stems and seeds, root, all can be used to heal, it is with a high nutritional value, it is a kind of fashionable vegetables and health care. SHEN NONG BEN CAO JING records: “Perilla... long-term taking, prolong aging". Compendium of materia medica describes: the song dynasty emperor SongRenZong, shows to the world, evaluating soup drink, and the result is "Perilla boiled water first." The yuan dynasty poet HAO LAI said: "next summer house evaluation soup, heavy wooden basil soup smells first." Compendium of materia medica shows: the perilla determine the next gas, in addition to a "good, its oil cold. In addition to cold, treat all air conditioning. Fill in yiqi, treat heart abdominal distension full, stop cholera ZhuanJin, appetizing food, stop beriberi, under the big small intestine. XinJing, the interests of the spleen, and YouSheng, boiled drinking exercises tangerine skin. Solution, hunger, doing published scattered in the chill air, wide the lungs, and sputum extinction temperature, set in blood analgesic womb, solution, pant, cure snake poison fish crab with YeSheng feed dog injury. Make soup, kill all the fish poison."
    Because the Perilla has unique scent smell, its aroma is from Perilla oil, the main components in the oil are:  unsaturated fatty acid series, alpha linolenic acid content is the highest, the rest are linolenic acid, oleic acid,  palmitic, stearic acid, and Vc, Ve and B - hu Laura h element, double terpene, furan sugar aldehydes, design and color assorted and calcium, iron, potassium, etc.
    Studies of the health food function according to foreign experts show that eating Perilla food has the function of anti-aging, strengthening memory, lower hematic fat, anti-allergy and anti-cancer and so on, at the same time, perilla oil is called "soft gold" in drugs, makeup products, industry chemical raw materials.
    Perilla is announced by health ministry  one plant of the first 60 plants which can be as drug and food. It has important value in developing economic crops in food and drug field. In recent years,  its development value and extensive research made great achievements, use value of Perilla has attracted the attention of the world. With the continuous development of perilla value, more important and more extensive uses will be unearthed. As part of the green food, Perilla food will be on people's table, open a new land in the food industry.

-http://www.yamasuan.com/en_shownews.asp?BigClass=ennews&SmallClass=&title=&id=514

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 7 09 3:15 AM

Wow, I have no clue what the first paragraph was all about, but the last three paragraphs help add to my suspicions that with more research, this herb may show great potential in conjunction with other oils.

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#4 [url]

Feb 7 09 3:36 AM

haha, I too was a bit confused! Probably a translation related thing...

They were talking about the high density of centurions in Bama, China, title of that was "THERE ARE 3 CENTENARIANS IN 10,000 PERSONS,THE LONGEVITY IN BAMA IMPRESSES THE WORLD"

On November 1st,1991, international natural medical association announced  officially: Bama is world's fifth  township of longevity. Before this, the world health organization, the international Red Cross has confirmed that Bama is China's township of longevity.

What is the secret of their longevity? With this question, for 17 years since 1975, the international natural medical association,  the world the longevity of the township tour,  make investigation and study in Bama for twice  every year, the study found: bama people eat the fire fat-soluble oil frequently which is also called "longevity oil,".We found further, this  is related to diet rich in unsaturated fatty acid alpha linolenic acid.

the main components in the [Perilla] oil are:  unsaturated fatty acid series, alpha linolenic acid content is the highest, the rest are linolenic acid, oleic acid,  palmitic, stearic acid, and Vc, Ve and B - hu Laura h element, double terpene, furan sugar aldehydes, design and color assorted and calcium, iron, potassium, etc.

Have you heard of hempseed oil? Lots of linolenic acid in that as well as other goodies.

About 30–35% of the weight of hempseed is an edible oil that contains about 80% as essential fatty acids (EFAs); i.e., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%).

The proportions of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in one tablespoon per day (15 ml) of hempseed oil easily provides human daily requirements for EFAs. Unlike flaxseed oil, hempseed oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs. This has been demonstrated in a clinical study, where the daily ingestion of flaxseed oil decreased the endogenous production of GLA.[5]

-Hemp seed oil wiki

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 7 09 5:37 AM

Haha, that post was much more easily understood! I am mainly interested in the high amounts of both luteolin and apigenin, as they are two of only a handful of flavones known to act as monoamine transporter activators. Specifically luteolin has been shown to be a COMT and xanthine oxidase inhibitor. According to wikipedia apigenin also inhibits CYP2C9, and the two of them in conjunction with rosmeric acid have demonstrated potent anti-inflammatory and antiallergenic properties. I am inclined to think that perilla oil could act as a general potentiator for many of the simulants I use. 

I have not heard much about hempseed oil. Are there any sources that show it may contain luteolin and/or apigenin? I have just recently started studying these flavones so they could be in a million different oils for all I know??? :/ But if so, hempseed may even supersede perilla oil by my standards. I just know that perilla oil was the first to pop up after searching monoamine transporters. Regardless of specific flavones, both oils do yield high nutritional value. Hempseed seems like a great alternative to flax seed oil. Bleh! I hate the taste of flax seed. :D 

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#6 [url]

Feb 7 09 6:24 AM

Hempseed oil tastes GREAT! Somewhat nutty, but I LOVE it, both on its own and on my favourite dish (spaghetti, tomato sauce, green pesto, cheese).

I'm not to sure whether it contains those compounds you mentioned. I'll check it out sometime later on. Could you expand on what you're trying to do? What stimulants are you talking about? Sounds interesting!

As for the nutritional value of hempseed oil, I think its pretty high up there? I think its healthier than other commonly used oils like olive, flax, sunflower etc.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 7 09 7:08 AM

I have been using stimulants in combination with nootropics for a while now. The problem I have with using any MAOI in combintation with other supplements is the dangerous side effects (hypertensive crisis etc.) So my goal was to use a minimal amount of stimulants with a small dose of a reversible and selectable MAOI (I don't want to block MAO-A because it helps relieve the large amounts of tyramine gained from l-phenylalanine... i believe). However, although the side effects decrease, so do the initial effects. So I wanted a way to capitalize on the free monoamine that I DO have in my system. That is what led me to monoamine transporter activators like luteolin. This is all of a theory though and I have not tested to see if flavones like luteolin have any noticable effect on mood or stimulation. That is why I am looking for a cheap supplement (perilla oil) to test with. Hopefully the sitmulation and mood enhancing effects will be... acceptable, while also minimizing any negetive side effects. For some odd reason my body is very sensitive to MAOI's. Also this provides my body with an extra mechanism for potentiating the effects of other supplements. I am very new to the whole biochemistry aspect of supplements and my reasoning could be totally flawed, so if you see any problems please let me know.

These are the current ingredients I am thinking of stacking

DMAA - 40mg
Hordenine - 200mg
L-Phenylalanine - 500-800mg
Perilla Oil - ???
Xanthinol Nicotinate - ???
Sulbutiamine - 1000mg
Cayenne Pepper - 1500mg+

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 7 09 7:38 AM

Abstract

Monoamine transporters playing major roles in regulating normal and abnormal synaptic activity are associated with various neuropsychological disorders. In spite of the discovery of a series of structurally different monoamine transporter antagonists for the therapy approach, no practical pharmaceutical can act as a transporter activator. Here, we isolated luteolin and apigenin from the fruit of Perilla frutescens (L.) Britt by using an activity-guided extraction technique, and proved that the two compounds possess actions of enhancing monoamine uptake either upon monoamine-transporter transgenic Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells or upon wild dopaminergic cell lines, with higher specificity for dopamine (DA) uptake than for norepinephrine (NE)- and serotonin (5HT)-uptake, as well as with more potency and greater efficacy for luteolin than for apigenin. Further, in the transgenic cells, the principal NE/DA uptake activation by luteolin was significantly prevented by respective transporter inhibitor, and the transmitter-uptake-enhancing action was independent of its ligands, which is in support of the compounds as monoamine transporter activators. Furthermore, luteolin evoked a marked disinhibition of cocaine-targeted effect in CHO cells overexpressing dopamine transporter. Thus, luteolin and apigenin function as monoamine transporter activators, which would improve several hypermonoaminergic neuropsychological disorders, especially cocaine dependence, through up-regulating monoamine transporter activity.

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#9 [url]

Feb 7 09 8:31 AM

I am very new to the whole biochemistry aspect of supplements and my reasoning could be totally flawed, so if you see any problems please let me know.

-b_jammin

I myself only got into this kinda stuff around 2 years ago. I know a lot more about plant biochemistry...I used to tend to some C. Sativa and at the time was fascinated by plants (ended up getting a hardback entitled "Plant Physiology"!) but am slowly learning about the human side of things :)

I tend to approach this from a nootropic side of things, whilst dabbling with some psycadelics (recently got some 2cb, quite interesting)

The problem I have with using any MAOI in combintation with other supplements is the dangerous side effects (hypertensive crisis etc.) So my goal was to use a minimal amount of stimulants with a small dose of a reversible and selectable MAOI (I don't want to block MAO-A because it helps relieve the large amounts of tyramine gained from l-phenylalanine... i believe). However, although the side effects decrease, so do the initial effects. So I wanted a way to capitalize on the free monoamine that I DO have in my system. That is what led me to monoamine transporter activators like luteolin.

I get the first bit, could you explain, in laymen's terms, how a monoamine transporter activator will help? You are taking x combination, with a small amount of stimulants and reversible temporary MAO-B. To increase the effectiveness of what you are taking, you're saying a monoamine transporter activator would help by allowing you to use what monoamine you do have in your body as efficiently as possible?

Sometimes I semi-understand things but only superficially...

Tyramine is physiologically metabolized by MAOA

-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyramine

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Feb 7 09 9:13 AM

Yes, that is exactly what I mean! :D I simply want to increase monoamine uptake (especailly epinephrine and norepinephrin) without increasing the negetive side effects I tend to have with MAOI's. Whether this will work or not has yet to be tested. Also, perilla oil has a whole host of other great benefits! Hence the Bama, China article. ;) 

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#11 [url]

Feb 7 09 12:29 PM

Can you explain to me what a monoamine transporter activator does? Thats the bit I can't currently get my head around. The wiki explanation didn't really help.

Just looked it up again, found this

Thus, luteolin and apigenin function as monoamine transporter activators, which would improve several hypermonoaminergic neuropsychological disorders, especially cocaine dependence, through up-regulating monoamine transporter activity.

So...a monoamine transporter activator increases the 'potency' of the monoamine transporter - is this the "capitalizing on the already present monoamine you have in your body" bit? It makes the already present monoamine more 'potent'?

Trying to get my head around this!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 7 09 9:29 PM

From what I understand it does not make the monoamine more potent. It simply activates the previously inactive proteins so that more monoamine can be transported for uptake (not to be confuzed with reuptake). This in turn causes a higher consentration of neurotransmitters in the synapse. This is simply another mechanism who's effects are similar to that of MAO inhibition. I am new to this idea as well and the efficiency of luteolin and apigenin could be entirely usless but I think it is worth a test run anyway.  :D

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 4 09 6:46 PM

From what I can tell, luteolin/apigenin work pre-synaptically to activate DAT. Sulbutiamine does it's magic via post synaptic deactivation of DAT (i think). Maybe a combination of a large dose of luteolin/apigenin and a moderate dose of sulbutiamine would greatly increase dopamine levels? Maybe in a bad way. :/ More research should be done on the pre-synaptic action of luteolin and apigenin.

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#16 [url]

Mar 4 09 9:24 PM

I don't think you have it right. From what I can see the protein luteolin activates is the same one cocaine and sulbutiamine deactivate. They would cancel each other out. Activating DAT (as in the case of luteolin) would reduce dopamine levels in the synapses, causing temporary depression (not sure about the depression, but just think the opposite of cocaine). But, the good news is that you would be increasing your levels of dopamine that are released during neuron firing, which means each impulse would be much stronger, resulting in stronger emotional responses, etc. They just wouldn't be constantly firing like with cocaine. Also, luteolin inhibits COMT, which means dopamine levels might not change at all... Maybe luteolin revitalizes the dopamine system by both enhancing synapse levels with COMT inhibition and enhancing dopamine levels inside the neuron for later release... I dunno, test it!

Zinc does a better job at this though. The right form of zinc (zinc picolinate is the best I could find) will cause a voltage dependent change in the DAT... In english that means when the neuron fires, zinc will block the DAT to increase the amount of dopamine in the synapse during firing. This would increase and lengthen each dopamine impulse. And, after the neuron is done firing, zinc reverses its function and makes the DAT work faster, to shuttle all the dopamine back into the neuron for later firing. This way, zinc both enhances extracellular concentrations and enhances intracellular concentrations. It revitalizes the dopamine system this way.

The only problem is that it's not of much recreational value. :D

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 4 09 10:53 PM

Ah ha! I was waiting for someone with a greter knowledge than I to come and clear things up. My chemistry and physiology knowledge are very limited, and most of what I learn is self taught. So when I read things I understand bits and pieces. For the most part I can understand the big picture. As for this post though, it was that small little bit of information I didn't understand that changed the whole thing. I had my supicions that I might have been slighly wrong, but this makes sense now. Thanks for clearing it up toastus! :D

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help