Gallic acid sources that are food grade

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

hendrix

superstar

Lead

Jan 1 09 8:25 AM

Tags : :

Gallic acid is a potent aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor. This supplement is hard to get hold of in pure food grade form though. But there are some food grade supplements that contain it, some as much as 20%.

Gallic acid is present in pomegranate extract, rooibos tea extract, and grape seed extract.

Grape seed extract that's 95% polyphenols contains the following (amounts are approximate):

Catechins, Epicatechins 10%
Dimers 15%
Oligomers 67%
Gallic Acid 3%

Rooibos tea extract is a better source of food grade gallic acid. You can easily find it standardized for 20% gallic acid.

Pomegranate extracts are mostly ellagic acid, but also contain high amounts of gallic acid. The gallic acid content is about 1/2 the amount of ellagic acid present. This is a better source for gallic acid than grape seed. It's about as good as rooibos tea extract.

I got a free sample of pomegranate extract a while back and posted a report on it's use with elemicin on this forum. The pomegranate extract I got was 40% ellagic acid and 20% gallic acid. Turns out that pomegranate extract inhibits CYP2C9 and so it fucks up elemicin. Don't use it with elemicin.

I haven't used grape seed or rooibos tea extract yet. I think grape seed extract also inhibits CYP2C9 so its not useful for elemicin or other allylbenzenes. Rooibos tea extract might not inhibit CYP2C9. I need to look into this one more.

Beware that there are some places selling gallic acid that's not food grade. Photography stores sell this. DO NOT USE IT! It's not meant for ingestion!

Quote    Reply   

maggy

superstar

#1 [url]

Jan 1 09 10:31 AM

I created a new section for gallic acid in our supplement category.

Rooibos is usually 4.4% gallic acid. 1 cup of tea made from 5 grams (1 tsp) of rooibos has about 220 mg of gallic acid. Some people use as much as 20 grams (8 tsp) per cup. That's 880 mg of gallic acid! It's a great antioxidant.

Most rooibos extracts and pomegranate extracts contain about 20% gallic acid.

Pomegranate extract is useful for those who also want ellagic acid to boost the effects of gallic acid. My sources show that rooibos doesn't have ellagic acid.

Gallic acid potently inhibits:
Aldehyde dehydrogenase
Aldose reductase
Xanthine oxidase

Gallic acid weakly inhibits:
CYP2D6
CYP3A4

Gallic acid also inhibits:
phenylalanine ammonia-lyase

If you take it with ellagic acid you get more potent inhibition of aldose reductase and xanthine oxidase, plus additional P450 enzyme inhibition, etc. See the ellagic acid section of our forum for more details.

Without love life means nothing. Spread a little love day by day and remember "the love you take is equal to the love you make".

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 1 09 10:37 PM

The leaves, berries, and bark of Rhus glabra and other sumac bushes contain a good amount of gallic acid. I can't find any papers that give an exact percentage, but it should be worth a try since this plant is common and ranges across most of North America.

Sumac also has a high tannin and tannic acid content, sometimes over 20% of the weight of the dry leaves. The tannins in sumac has been found to decompose into glucose and gallic acid so that could make this an excellent source of gallic acid.

All hail King Neptune and his water breathers!!!! maayyonaaaze!

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#4 [url]

Jan 2 09 1:07 AM

Rooibos tea contains quercetin witch i think inhibits CYP2C9, i would imagine the extract probably does as well.

-user_name

Yes, rooibos contains quercetin. Quercetin potently inhibits CYP2C9. That's why large doses of quercetin totally prevent elemicin from working in me. Small doses are ok though. I think 10 mg is probably fine.

How much quercetin is in rooibos?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help