Smoking Sassafras root bark

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Oct 15 08 4:43 AM

Tags : :

With a cheese grater I grated a pipe bowl worth of sassafras root bark, and inhaled 2 tokes through a bong. In about 5-10 minutes I felt a warm, pleasant body stone and slightly euphoric. The effects increased and peaked at around 30 minutes, going for 2 hours or so. I also saw very slight CEVs, and music sounded happier.

This website states:
"S. albidum has three major root bark components: methyleugenol, safrole and camphor (Kamdem & Gage, 1995; Felter & Lloyd (c), 2003)"

Several websites claim:
Methyleugenol (1.1%), Safrole (85%), Camphor (3.6%).

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#1 [url]

Oct 15 08 7:51 PM

The oils are smokable!?

What the crap!? I am SO going to try this. You didn't even use inhibitors!

What if you did use inhibitors? Maybe take them 20 minutes before you toke the sassafras? Black pepper tea as well?

All of the other oils are supposed to be smokable as well, so it's not like this is unheard of. People smoke calamus root and get effects from it.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 16 08 4:02 AM

I think the vaporized oils are causing the effect, perhaps another chemical is being created when the bark is burned? Maybe since the active constituents are being absorbed through the lungs, they bypass certain metabolism making them inactive (safrole -> 1-hydroxysafrole). A classic example of this would be smoked DMT, which is destroyed by mao enzymes when taken orally without an maoi.

This website states:
"The main chemical components are safrole, 5-menthoxy-eugenol, asarone, coniferaldehyde, camphone and traces of thujone, anethole, apiol and eugenol."

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#3 [url]

Oct 16 08 12:10 PM

Then again, it put my friend to sleep...
He said at first it was psychedelic but then he became extremely sedated and fell asleep. Maybe some converted at first but the rest became the stoning metabolite instead?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 16 08 3:35 PM

Yes possibly. Last night I sprinkled 2-3 tokes of sassafras onto a damiana joint, and after smoking half I burst out laughing for a few seconds, feeling high and euphoric. Playing the guitar laying in the hammock was much more fun. I finished the joint and felt happy, stoned, and could see slight subtle CEVs. About 30 minutes later I felt slightly sedated and buzzed, with a little body high. Listening to Terence Mckenna was more interactive than usual, and I fell right asleep, having many dreams.

Sassafras root bark has a history of being smoked by natives. This website says:
"They also smoked, in a pipe, the root bark, which is highly aromatic and inebriating."

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 16 08 10:59 PM

Smoking cannabis with sassafras root bark greatly enhances the experience.

I am curious to see how smoking the oil containing plants in conjunction with ingesting the oils would effect the experience.

Quote    Reply   

hendrix

superstar

#8 [url]

Oct 20 08 8:05 PM

This is good to know. How potent of a CYP2A6 inhibitor is cannabidiol? Does cannabidiol occur in anything other than cannabis?

Between the eyes and ears there lie The sounds of colour and the light of a sigh

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 20 08 10:41 PM

Cannabidiol is one of the 85(?) cannabinoids which I think naturally occur only in Cannabis, and I have not found any other plants containing the substance.

A study from this website states:

The inhibitory effect of CBD on CYP2D6 activity was more potent as compared with those of 16 compounds without nitrogen atom tested, such as progesterone. These results indicated that CBD caused potent direct CYP2D6 inhibition.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 21 08 12:43 AM

Some occur in Hops and Other foods, They only have anti-inflammatory effect, I think Salviaorin a effects the cannbinoid receptors some how, I recall reading it on Wikipedia i think maybe some where else so i wouldn't take it as a fact.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Oct 21 08 2:38 AM

Nice, some hops are growing nearby, I'm going to pick a little bit. B-caryophyllene is a cannabinoid found in hops.

This website states:
Additional caryophyllene can be determined in concentrated cannabis oils which could possibly harbor up to 30% caryophyllene. Caryophyllene can also be found in black pepper, cloves, hops, oregano and rosemary.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Information from this report includes:
Activation of the CB2 receptor is a potential therapeutic strategy for the treatment of inflammation, pain,
atherosclerosis, and osteoporosis. Here, we report that the widespread plant volatile b-caryophyllene selectively binds to the CB2 receptor and that it is a functional CB2 agonist.

CB2 receptor-selective agonists that are devoid of the psychoactive effects typically associated with CB1 receptor activation are potential drug candidates for the treatment of a range of different diseases.

The sesquiterpene b-caryophyllene is a major plant volatile found in large amounts in the essential oils of many different spice and food plants, such as oregano (Origanum vulgare L.), cinnamon (Cinnamomum spp.) and black pepper (Piper nigrum L.).
This forum needs a hops section.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 21 08 6:04 AM

Nice, some hops are growing nearby, I'm going to pick a little bit. B-caryophyllene is a cannabinoid found in hops.
This website states:
Additional caryophyllene can be determined in concentrated cannabis oils which could possibly harbor up to 30% caryophyllene. Caryophyllene can also be found in black pepper, cloves, hops, oregano and rosemary.
Information from this report includes:
Activation of the CB2 receptor is a potential therapeutic strategy for the treatment of inflammation, pain,
atherosclerosis, and osteoporosis. Here, we report that the widespread plant volatile b-caryophyllene selectively binds to the CB2 receptor and that it is a functional CB2 agonist.
CB2 receptor-selective agonists that are devoid of the psychoactive effects typically associated with CB1 receptor activation are potential drug candidates for the treatment of a range of different diseases.
The sesquiterpene b-caryophyllene is a major plant volatile found in large amounts in the essential oils of many different spice and food plants, such as oregano (Origanum vulgare L.), cinnamon (Cinnamomum spp.) and black pepper (Piper nigrum L.).
This forum needs a hops section.

-psychedelic_ethnobotanist

Thanks for Info didn't know that it occurred in Black pepper, There is a Cannbinoid reuptake inhibitor found in Soy I believe, I know smoking weed and eating allot of rice with soy sauce increases the effects.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Oct 21 08 7:04 AM

Canadianchemistry, do you know a source that can back up that claim?? Or is it just personal experience? Either way is interesting.

One thing to note is that Caryophyllene is found in very high concentrations in West African Pepper (Piper Guineense) @ around 50% while only around 8% in common black pepper (Piper Nigrum)

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 21 08 4:18 PM

Nice find canadianchemistry! SWIM has been looking around for another suitable FAAH inhibitor (which Biochanin A is). Whats even better is it is found in more common materials than a few others SWIM was looking at.

It appears that while it is present in Soy Beans (which are very convenient) it also appears in higher quantities in Red Clover (Trifolium pratense).

SWIM will look into this further, but to have noticed effects with Soy from what canadianchemistry has said, then looking into Red Clover as a possible source probably won't be necessary.

Nice find once again canadianchemistry.

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Oct 21 08 11:33 PM

Agreed. Linked the prudent information in that thread.

Back to this one, another forum has some very simple tests on an array of different oils. Not too much detail is given with any of the effects, timings, etc. but it is quite interesting. Of course, some extra greenery was used to place a single drop into a pipe so there could be some synergism between the two or placebo effects because of said greenery.

SWIM believes the easiest way to experience the oil (as far as administering) would be to put a dose on a rolling paper and smoke that from the pipe. No possible synergism or mixed up effects from other substances.

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Oct 22 08 6:20 AM

"How potent of a CYP2A6 inhibitor is cannabidiol? - hendrix"
Oh, 2A6, I was thinking of 2D6. From my searching around on the subject, I have only come up with one report , which states:

9-THC, CBD, and CBN noncompetitively inhibited coumarin 7-hydroxylase activity of recombinant CYP2A6 with the apparent K i values of 28.9, 55.0, and 39.8 μM, respectively. On the other hand, Δ9-THC, CBD, and CBN inhibited 7-benzoxyresorufin O-debenzylase activity of recombinant CYP2B6 in a mixed fashion with the K i values of 2.81, 0.694, and 2.55 μM, respectively. Because the inhibition of CYP2B6 by CBD was the most potent, investigation was conducted to determine which moiety of the CBD structure was responsible for the inhibition.....Δ9-THC, CBD, and CBN showed metabolism-dependent inhibition for CYP2A6 but not for CYP2B6.....These results indicated that Δ9-THC, CBD, and CBN showed differential inhibition against CYP2A6 and CYP2B6."

The report does not show any IC50 values, nor have I found any, and I only know that low values of Ki indicate high inhibiting potency.

If the cannabinoids listed above are metabolism-dependent for CYP2A6 inhibition, then would taking a metabolism booster such as cayenne pepper, also a potent CYP1A2 inhibitor, significantly increase inhibition of 2A6 by these cannabinoids?

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 23 08 5:24 AM

Wow, I saw some sassafras bark at the mexican store the other day for a dollar. I might have to go pick some up! I was eyballing it, and it seemed to be calling my name. Unfortunately, I was on a budget so I just got some valerian, passionflower, and frankincense. Oh well, I will get it next time!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help