http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16808005

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

69ron

fanatic

#3 [url]

Dec 9 08 12:04 AM

That’s a good question and I looked into it a while back just to be sure and, no, black pepper ESSENTIAL oil contains no piperine or piperidine at all.

Black pepper solids contain piperine and piperidine.

As you know black pepper tea contains piperidine with only slight traces of piperine because piperine is not soluble in water, while piperidine is super water soluble.

So if we want the effects of piperine and piperidine, we need to ingest the solids, or an alcohol extract of the solids.

If we want the effects of piperidine only, we should make black pepper tea and filter out all the solids, which removes nearly all the piperine.

Black pepper essential oil contains neither of these. It’s mostly limonene, beta-pinene, and sabinene.

However the black pepper CO2 oil extract probably contains both piperine and piperidine. CO2 oils are not essential oils, but solvent extracts, and I believe piperine and piperidine are both soluble in CO2.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 12 10 2:39 PM

Pyschoadventurer, I don't think that piperidine is deliberately removed from the essential oil of Black Pepper due to it's status as a PCP precursor. If this was the case then we'd expect to see the same thing happen with CO2 oil extracts 69ron mentioned.

Steam distillation results in two products: Essential oil and Herbal distillate. The latter is also known as fragant water, or hydrosol. Piperidine doesn't occur in the essential oil because it is incredibly water soluble, so it ends up in the herbal distillate instead.

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#7 [url]

Feb 17 10 6:03 AM

One thing to clear up. FREEBASE piperidine will distill with water. But most salt forms will not. If piperidine is present in black pepper as a salt, and it probably is, then it won't be extracted into the hydrosol or the essential oil. It would be left in the plant matter after distillation.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 21 10 7:28 PM

Hi all, my first post here, very interesting forum!

I hope it's not completely redundant, i just wanted to say that it's really easy to extract piperine from pepper. I don't know about the piperidine, but it's also pretty easy to get from piperine. The extraction is somehow almost worth a (kindergarten) science project, to me it was marvelous to watch: Soaking ground pepper in high proof alcohol, filtering off the solids and letting evaporate the ethanol at a point leaves two layers: One black oily layer on top and a clear one at the bottom. You can almost watch the piperine "crash" out of the liquid when enough alcohol from the solution evaporated. I planned to try it again and make a fast motion movie of the process, it looks great!

Are piperine and piperidine besides the pepper oil of any value as activators for EO's or elseway interesting?

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 22 10 7:29 AM

Hi dazeface, thanks :)

Sorry, i didn't take any pictures then, but if i make another try i'll film it!
I still have the resulting small yellowish shards lying around somewhere,
jut forgot where ...

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Oct 10 12 1:30 AM

Piperine can enhance the pharmacokinetic parameters of resveratrol via inhibiting its glucuronidation, thereby slowing its elimination. can stimulate pigmentation in the skin, together with the exposure to UVB light. It can has same function with the black pepper ?

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#12 [url]

Oct 10 12 9:32 PM

The piperine in Black pepper inhibits P-glycoprotein which, as i understand it, effectively slows digestion and makes it more effective/efficient.

This property increases the bioavailability of Curcumin (from turmeric) by around 2000%. I am sure that this effect applies to most substances. I have black pepper with all my meals.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help