Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

69ron

fanatic

Lead

Feb 7 08 4:33 AM

Tags : :

The Psychoactive Effects of Tarragon Oil

Tarragon oil (Artemisia dracunculus, also sometimes called Estragon) is a psychoactive oil that sometimes contains up to 90% methyl chavicol (estragole) depending on the location and chemotype of the tarragon. French Tarragon and German Tarragon are high in methyl chavicol.

Terragon’s psychoactive effects are nearly identical to those of sweet basil oil (the methyl chavicol chemotype). Both of these oils contain methyl chavicol as the main active oil.

I have not tried tarragon oil, but have tried sweet basil oil of the methyl chavicol chemotype. The effects I got were mild sedation, euphoria, and mild psychedelic visual effects which are all attributed to methyl chavicol. More details on basil oil’s psychoactive effects are found in the Basil Oil thread.

There are a few chemotypes of tarragon that contain little or no methyl chavicol. Russian Tarragon contains about 50% sabinene, 30% methyl eugenol, and 30% elemicin, and no methyl chavicol. It contains more elemicin than nutmeg oil and elemi oil combined! This is one oil I would love to get hold of. I can’t find it though.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

hendrix

superstar

#1 [url]

Mar 2 08 9:52 AM

Russian Tarragon sounds fucking cool! I love elemicin.

So have you ever tried any of these Tarragon oils?

Between the eyes and ears there lie The sounds of colour and the light of a sigh

Quote    Reply   

twister

superstar

#2 [url]

Apr 4 08 8:47 AM

So this is another one that's supposed to be psychedelic like basil?

What about fennel oil?

I know that stuff they chew in asia to get a mild high called betel contains methyl chavicol, chavibetol, chavicol, etc., and I never heard of people getting psychedelic effects from that. Why would tarragon oil be psychedelic and betel be just a mild high?

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#3 [url]

Apr 4 08 6:00 PM

Hendrix, I haven't tried any tarragon oils yet. I would love to try the Russian variety but I can't find it.

Twister, betel chewing is not the same as ingesting a bunch of oil. There's not much methyl chavicol present in betel, and besides, to get the psychedelic effects from methyl chavicol most likely requires proper digestion, and not sublingual absorption. I don't believe methyl chavicol is active until it is modified by the proper set of enzymes in the digestive system which requires some enzyme modifiers like CYP1A2 and CYP2A6 inhibitors. So for using it as a psychedelic, you need to take it orally in much larger doses with CYP1A2 and CYP2A6 inhibitors. Taking it in smaller doses sublingually like they do with betel chewing will probably do nothing at all.

Quote    Reply   

twister

superstar

#4 [url]

Apr 6 08 12:55 AM

Good point.

I'll have to try this thing out with basil oil. I think they have that at the mall. I don't remember seeing tarragon.

If it doesn't work as a psychedelic for me, which is what I suspect, is there any other good use for it?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 6 08 5:23 AM

Basil oil works for me. I use it with ground cinnamon. I think I'll get me some cinnamon oil. That sounds cool. You could put it in a capsule!grin

I like that these oils are so non-drug looking. No one will suspect anything. If they see basil and cinnamon oil on my shelf, they'll think I use it for cooking! That is so fucking cool.

Meow...scratch scratch!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help