Remove this ad

Catnip any one?

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Feb 4 10 3:57 PM

Tags : :

Catnip has to be my herb of choice to smoke it feels exactly like a CBD body high.

According to  Dr. Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases Catnip contains the fallowing psychoactive chemical's

NEPETALACTONE a sedative\CAMPHOR, Stimulant, Relaxant, Mild psychedelic\   PULEGONE a not very well known hallucinogenic  substance found in many plants in the mint family\ THYMOL  sedative\NEROL sedative\

If you plan on smoking catnip use fresh wild or home grown catnip not store-bought catnip for cats witch doesn’t have a lot chemical's  in them

It combines well with mugwort, motherswort, and hops, it also makes the perfect herb to use as a carrier of smoke able essential oils      

If you smoke a lot of it you can feel the mild hallucinogenic effects of  the pulegone.

has any one else gotten a nice high of catnip?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 4 10 6:01 PM

I have only had mild euphoric effects from catnip. Other people think its a bunch of nonsense. I only know one person who has ever tried it. Whether you believe it is psychoactive or not it is still something nice and smooth to smoke.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 4 10 6:10 PM

catnip tea works also. i had some nice, dreamy effects from it. it appears to me that this one also has some kind of reverse tolerance.

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#3 [url]

Feb 4 10 8:25 PM

Nice, what are the receptors that pulegone has affinity for? I know it's at least an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor but I don't know much else about it.

If you don't know the receptors, then how would you describe the hallucinogenic effects? Different from classical psychedelics like psilocin, LSD, DMT?

similar to tea tree oil?

salvia's visual effects?

I hope it's a D3 agonist... that would be fantastic.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 4 10 11:17 PM

Catnip was actually the first herb or substance that I ever consumed with the intent of altering my state of consciousness. And it is one of the medicinal herbs that I know best.

A lot of people say that catnip is not psychoactive at all. But this is usually because they get old useless catnip intended for cats that has lost much of its active volatile compounds. And since the effects of catnip are mild, they often don't really notice the effects. Then they never try it again and assume that all catnip is bunk.

But, as mentioned by Shimamura, catnip is much more potent if collected from live plants and used promptly. Or it can then be dried properly and stored in an air tight glass container for later use.

I have consumed a lot of catnip in my times, but I have never experienced any hallucinogenic effects from catnip alone. Perhaps the plants in my area have lower concentrations of Camphor and Pulegone. It also might be that the visual effects were very mild and I didn't notice them. This is a major possibility since I have very mild HPPD (self diagnosed). Next time I use catnip I will be on the look out for visual alterations.

All hail King Neptune and his water breathers!!!! maayyonaaaze!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 5 10 2:31 AM

Camphor is a anticholinergic used as a cardiac stimulant back in the old days while pulegone is a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor like toastus said, b-pinene is said to be ...psychedelic prefer to say hallucinogenic ,but pine oil never did it for me. Acetylcholine agonist make all more there, more colorful, more clear , this can maybe help visuals and the clarity of thoughts,but cant in me produce visuals.The penny royal EO is 90% pulegone. Gotta experiment, it seem there is no scientific paper on the subject. Be careful with pulegone in EO acetylcholine is neurotoxic in too high concentrations.

''Catnip has to be my herb of choice to smoke it feels exactly like a CBD body high''

Seem like a light body-dissosiative maybe its a D2 agonist. The D2 receptor, attenuates acetylcholine release, but this can be the NMDA inhibiting with D2 agonizing, since anticholinergic totally cut off the body signal.

Cat turn crazy and agitated so maybe thats not at all the D2. I hope its a D3 agonist too :D

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 5 10 6:28 AM

Cat turn crazy and agitated so maybe thats not at all the D2. I hope its a D3 agonist too :D

-qwer27

Cats respond to catnip in the way that they do because compounds in the plant act like pheromones. Not all cat's are effected by catnip, so it stands to reason that it is not possible for the effects to be due to Dopamine agonism since all cats would be effected if it was.

I would think that it is far more likely that catnip is effecting CB2, NMDA, or GABA. But I am having a hard time finding much information on the exact pharmacology of catnip. I did find one interesting study showing that catnip has antidepressant effects - which agrees with my experiences and the use of catnip in folk medicine. It says that another study found that a major component of catnip oil, Nepetalactone, was a potent MAO-B inhibitor and mild inhibitor of MAO-A.

Camphor is a anticholinergic used as a cardiac stimulant back in the old days

-qwer27

Also, I am pretty sure that Camphor is not an anticholinergic. I can only find one paper that suggests that Camphor could be anticholinergic. This paper is a case study on toxicity caused by an herbal tea made from a species of Lavender that is high in Camphor. It only speculates that the toxicity may caused by anticholinergic toxidrome and even states that there are no studies that have found Lavender or Camphor to be anticholinergic. I have attached this paper.

The penny royal EO is 90% pulegone. Gotta experiment, it seem there is no scientific paper on the subject. Be careful with pulegone in EO acetylcholine is neurotoxic in too high concentrations.

-qwer27

Penny Royal EO is considered very dangerous due to its high concentration of Pulegone. Pulegone is metabolized into the highly hepatotoxic compound Menthofuran. And Pulegone apparently depletes levels of glutathione, which allows the concentrations of toxins to build up. So this increases the toxic effects of Menthofuran even more.

So the acetlycholinesterase inhibition effects of Pulegone are not what you should worry about.

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#7 [url]

Feb 5 10 10:27 AM

I am normally very sensitive to most herbs but catnap has never worked for me. However, I never tried fresh catnip.

Catnip essential oil contains about 40% nepetalactone. Nepetalactone as you said is an MAO-B inhibitor.

Has anyone here tried using catnip oil before?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Feb 5 10 10:47 AM

I have 1ml of catnip oil laying around, but i have never tried this. pretty extensive shit. somebody tried it or have a dosage recommendation for me?

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 5 10 3:32 PM

Its cool to see so many replys!!!grin

I left some stuff out :P

The species Nepeta racemosa Or Catmint contains higher levels of camphor but there is only 0-48 ppm of  pulegone found in the stems , but also contains Menthol, Valeric acid, and Menthone. Is also more cultivated then catnip is.

Catnip tea is not a very effective way to get any of the desired effects other then Sedation I like to
Smoke the catnip while drinking the tea mixed with some other herbs like passion  Flower, hops, rosemary alot of bitter lettuce and some times small amounts of Datrua.

Iv never gotten a dissociative or anticholinergic effect off of it (unless I used Datrua or Opium lettuce with it) every thing looks 'fresh'   and brighter. My strongest experience with catnip was when I smoked a ton of it with my friends bong, we put 10 drops of rosemary oil in the water of the bong (which might of effected the effects)

Empty space felt and looked like I was underwater  and every thing kinda breathed And I felt extremely relaxed 

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#11 [url]

Feb 5 10 4:24 PM

I did find one interesting study showing that catnip has antidepressant effects - which agrees with my experiences and the use of catnip in folk medicine. It says that another study found that a major component of catnip oil, Nepetalactone, was a potent MAO-B inhibitor and mild inhibitor of MAO-A.

-powerfulmedicine

Wat

So it could be used to activate phenethylamine?

The only long-lasting MAO-B inhibitor that works [besides pharmaceutical-grade deprenyl] that I know of is fo-ti [emodin]. I haven't even tried it, so I don't know if it lasts a long time. I do know that it will make it into the brain, unlike the supposed MAO inhibitors from cats claw. I tried it and they never made it into the brain, and their molecular structure shows their XlogP3 is too low to enter the brain. WE NEED SOME LONG LASTING EASILY ACCESSIBLE MAO-B INHIBITORS. Hordenine is WAY too short lived.

Penny Royal EO is considered very dangerous due to its high concentration of Pulegone. Pulegone is metabolized into the highly hepatotoxic compound Menthofuran. And Pulegone apparently depletes levels of glutathione, which allows the concentrations of toxins to build up. So this increases the toxic effects of Menthofuran even more.So the acetlycholinesterase inhibition effects of Pulegone are not what you should worry about.

-powerfulmedicine

Holy crap, thanks for stopping me from buying this oil to test it for effects. :o

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 5 10 6:49 PM

In fact, Camphor is a anti-histaminergic and anti-cholinergic, thus the cardiac stimulant.

Its not because you cant search right that it doesn't exist, cheer up bro :P

-qwer27

I sort of take offense to that. You can't just call me out on research skills like that bro.

JK

I did a goole scholar search and that paper didn't come up. But I am still not convinced. I checked that paper and it was citing another study about Camphor supposedly being anticholinergic and an anithistamine.

So I searched for that paper, and in the abstract it says that a plant called Lippia dulcis or Aztec Sweet Herb was found to be anticholinergic and an anithistamine. Here is the abstract:

Antispasmodic activity of essential oil from Lippia dulcis Trev.

Görnemann T, Nayal R, Pertz HH, Melzig MF.

Abstract

AIM OF THIS STUDY:

To investigate the essential oil of Lippia dulcis Trev. (Verbenaceae) that is traditionally used in the treatment of cough, colds, bronchitis, asthma, and colic in Middle America for antispasmodic activity.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

We used a porcine bronchial bioassay to study contractile responses to carbachol and histamine in the absence or presence of the essential oil.

RESULTS:

The essential oil showed anti-histaminergic and anti-cholinergic activities at 100 microg/ml.

CONCLUSIONS:

The anti-histaminergic and anti-cholinergic activities of the essential oil of Lippia dulcis support the rational use of the plant or plant extracts to treat bronchospasm.

But the abstract says nothing about camphor and I can't access the full text version right now. So I am not convinced that they have linked Camphor to these effects.

And another thing supporting the possibility that Camphor does not have these effects is that there are likely to be two chemotypes for this herb: a Camphor chemotype and a Hernandulcin chemotype.

Here is a paper that found that specimens of this plant from Puerto Rico only have trace amounts of Camphor:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031942296006917

Plants collected in Mexico showed the opposite, having high levels of Camphor and only traces of Hernandulcin. So if the plants in the study Görnemann study were collected outside of Mexico, they might not have any Camphor. And even if they do, it could still be other compounds that are responsible for the anticholinergic and anithistamine effects.

If someone could access and post the Görnemann paper we could clear this up. Or if there is another more conclusive paper showing that Camphor has these effects, then maybe you could post that, Qwer. I'm just not convinced since I looked at like ten papers and sites about the pharmacology of Camphor yesterday, and none of then mentioned anything about anticholinergic or antihistamine effects.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 5 10 7:33 PM

I have 1ml of catnip oil laying around, but i have never tried this. pretty extensive shit. somebody tried it or have a dosage recommendation for me?

-wolf

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever used Catnip EO for the purpose of MAO-B inhibition so you are treading into new territory if you try this. Therefore, no one can really suggest a proper dose. I would suggest that you start with a lower dose. But to be honest, it would probably be perfectly safe to start with the whole 1mL if you wanted. It may even turn out that 1mL is necessary for proper inhibition.

Standard Catnip oil is almost always about 70% Nepetalactones. It also often contains significant amounts of b-Caryophyllene and a-Humulene, which are safe and would partly explain some of the CBD-like effects of Catnip. A lot of Catnip oil also has a-Pinene, b-Pinene, and gama-Terpinene. These are safe and may help to explain some of the possible hallucinogenic and mood altering effects.

But interestingly, most of the studies that I have seen don't even find Camphor or Pulegone in the plants that they test. And when they do, it is only a very minor constituent. This doesn't mean that your oil will be devoid of Camphor or Pulegone though, since the minor constituents of the EO can vary depending on where the plants were grown. But you would have to consume a very large amount of Catnip oil for these compounds to be a problem.

So maybe the arguments about Camphor are unnecessary in this thread.

And if catnip oil is expensive and you can find a large population of this plant, then it might actually be worth it to distill it your self.

Here is a very simple way to perform a crude steam distillation to get an extract of Catnip oil:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Kitty-Crack%3A--ultra-potent-catnip-extract/

It also might be worth it to see if the whole herb taken orally in an emulsion or in another easily absorbed oil like olive oil could be used since this would be much easier. I might try this soon.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 5 10 7:39 PM

So maybe the arguments about Camphor are unnecessary in this thread.

Indeed ahah no harm intended :P

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help