Remove this ad

Smoking Stevia

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Aug 31 08 7:35 PM

Tags : :

Like we know stevia affects the NMDA receptor, but I have never heard or read about someone smoking this and getting those effects. Just thought you might find this interesting, form drugs-forum:

"i smoked a mix made of stevia rebuadiana ,Aloysia citrodora and spearmint... i smoked it like 24 hours ago and still i have no balance and decreased sensitivity.. if i touch my skin i don't feel the same sensation like before. it doesn't feel like im really touching it .. like im totally sedated , i don't feel pain at all .. if i pinch my skin or something like that i don't feel pain.

i smoked Aloysia and spearmint before .. i think the stevia caused this or maybe the lucky/unlucky combination of the 3."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 31 08 11:03 PM

Yes, SWIM has been looking at that thread as well. SWIM believed the effects may have been from the combination, but a nothing seemed too out of the ordinary as far as smoking blends go.... other than the stevia of course.

Does SWIY have a source for stevia affecting NMDA receptors?? SWIM knows aspartame does, but can't find anything on stevia.

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 1 08 1:46 AM

NOVEL NUTRACEUTICAL COMPOSITIONS CONTAINING STEVIA EXTRACT OR STEVIA EXTRACT CONSTITUENTS AND USES THEREOF:
hxxp://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0038957.html

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 9 08 6:37 AM

Actually, Steviol and its derivatives seem to be Glycine reuptake inhibitors by inhibiting the GlyT1 transporter. This increased level of glycine effects the NDMA subunit NR1 downstream, which helps increases LTP (Long Term Potentiation) or long term memory. (According to the article above and from other research to back it up)

So the the effects are downstream, not direct. :P

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 9 08 5:37 PM

Yes Hendrix. From the patent and previous studies is does seem like it inhibits GlyT1, which affects NMDA receptors downstream. The effects of inhibiting glycine re-uptake is well documented, but the use of stevia for these purposes isn't as much.

Unfortunately while this find looks good, the papers to back up the above patent were all roughly from the same groups of researchers. SWIM hasn't found any other papers directly showing that Stevia affects glycine re-uptake though. (Maybe cause the finding is patented??)

A little disheartening but hopefully something will eventually appear that supports or refutes the claim (that is independent from the original patent / study group)

Pce,
ElusiveMind

P.S. SWIM will be looking into other possible reasons why the SWIMMER @ drug forum experienced the sensations they did. Stevia (from what SWIM has heard, not read / seen) can mess around with insulin levels in some SWIMMERs and also can affect blood pressure (calcium channel blocker). Don't see how any of those could effect the SWIMMER like they said, but will look into it.

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#7 [url]

Nov 9 08 7:44 PM

I use stevia extracts everyday in my coffee as the main sweetener. I never felt anything at all from the stevia. What doses are needed to get these drug-like effects from pure stevia extracts? Several tablespoons?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Nov 9 08 9:50 PM

Supposedly (from the patent) that a dose of 0.15 - 10 mg/Kg a day is preferred to help "improved cognitive function". That does NOT mean SWIY is going to get "drug-like effects" from that dose though. SWIM too doesn't notice anything special when used as a sweetener though, but they use very little.

SWIM has been talking to the author of the original DF post. The SWIMMER has noticed some interesting effects, mainly that Stevia seems to drastically increase the narcotic, hypnotic, and sedative effects of herbs with those actions. SWIM is still investigating though (daily medicine, etc) to see if there is another contributing factor that may not be noticed. Will post back when more info is available.

Putting the puzzle together, one piece at a time.

Pce,
ElusiveMind

Quote    Reply   

hendrix

superstar

#9 [url]

Nov 10 08 8:32 PM

My local grocery store now has colas, rootbeer, and other sodas sweetened with stevia. They taste great. Stevia is a little funny tasting at first but you get used to it. The sodas say "ALL NATURAL" on them. I like these better than the artificial aspartame sodas made by the big boys.

Since the drinks are sodas I think they would have a lot of stevia, because to sweeten drinks with carbonated water requires a lot of sweetener. I don't notice anything from drinking them.

I'll be drinking these soda every day instead of the other sodas with mostly sugar, corn syrup, or aspartame.

I think it's cool that stores are starting to take all natural products a little more seriously. I know a molecule of synthetic sucrose is no different than natural sucrose, but usually a synthetic compound requires more impact on the earth to manufacture. That's what I don't like about artificial ingredients. I would rather people grow what they need and not synthesize it in an industrial plant. Every year or so you hear about some chemical plant leaking toxic crap into the water supply. Some of these places are making artificial food ingredients. While the artificial food ingredient might be fine, the toxic crap sometimes used to make it is not fine with me.

I prefer to go all natural when it makes sense for the environment. There are exceptions though. Some ingredients have less impact on the environment and your health if they are synthetic.

Between the eyes and ears there lie The sounds of colour and the light of a sigh

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 10 09 9:36 AM

I'll be drinking these soda every day instead of the other sodas with mostly sugar, corn syrup, or aspartame. 

-hendrix

Beverages are generally sweetened with the glycosides extracted from Stevia rebaudiana bertoni, these are stevioside and rebaudioside A. they are 300 to 400 sweeter than sugar. while the stevia dried leaves are aproximately 20-30 sweeter than sugar.

Stevioside and rebaudioside have 2- 3 glucose molecules in his general structure but them can be called "non caloric sweeteners".

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#11 [url]

Feb 5 10 6:06 PM

Stevia for Brain Health

DSM patent filing set to propel the herbal sweetener into new territory.

The shrub-like herb stevia (Stevia Rebaudiana) has a lengthy history of use, traced back hundreds of years to the Guarani Indians in Paraguay, who used the herb to sweeten the taste of their medicines and tea-like beverages. The glycosides in the stevia leaf contain up to 10% steviosides, which account for an incredible sweetness. Refined steviosides are said to be 200-300 times sweeter than table sugar.

Stevia has become a longtime mainstay on health food store shelves as an alternative to sugar, and is sold in liquid and powder form. Last December, after many years of treating the herb as if it were an illegal drug, FDA finally declared stevia safe for use in foods and beverages and a number of companies, including beverage giants Coca-Cola and Pepsi, are working to integrate the no calorie sweet herb into novel new beverage applications. More recently, stevia also went mainstream with the debut of alternative sweeteners like Cargill’s Truvia (made from erythritol andrebiana, the “best tasting part” of the stevia leaf) and McNeil Nutritionals’ Sun Crystals (a blend of stevia and pure cane sugar).

Most recently, DSM Nutritional Products of Basel, Switzerland, filed a patent launching stevia in an entirely new direction: as a cognitive health ingredient. According to the company’s patent filing, “Stevia extracts may boost brain function and tap growing interest in natural ingredients for cognitive health.”

“A number of years ago we identified cognitive health and mental performance as areas of increasing consumer interest,” commented Kevin Prudence, DSM’s new business development manager. “Our R&D department therefore set out to identify compounds and extracts derived from foods that might prove be active in these areas. Extracts from stevia came up positive in this screening and further research has provided additional positive evidence. Patents have been filed by DSM to protect these discoveries.”

The patent protection, which extends to more than 100 countries, including U.S., European and Chinese markets, covers rebaudioside A, B to F, and other steviol glycosides, indicating that the compounds pose the ability to enhance cognitive function via their interaction with a specific receptor (NMDA receptor) in the brain that boosts synaptic transmission, or chemical brain signal. The company supported evidence of these benefits with in vitro and in vivo animal studies.

Insofar as the company’s intentions, the patent filing alluded to the formulation of a soft gel capsule and a non-baked cereal bar. “The present invention relates to a novel nutraceutical composition or food additive comprising Stevia extract or its constituents, such as steviol and stevioside, as active ingredient(s) to improve cognitive functions, such as learning, memory and alertness, as well as relieving psychosocial pressure,” the filing stated.

“There is an increasing interest in the development of compounds, as well as nutraceutical compositions that may be used to improve learning, memory and alertness, in both elderly and young people.

“Thus, a compound or nutraceutical composition which enhances NMDA receptor function and enables improvements in learning, memory and alertness would be highly desirable.”

“As the development of the ingredient form to be commercialized is currently ongoing, it is too early to speculate which consumer product applications would be most suitable,” commented Mr. Prudence. “However it is our goal that the ingredient form(s) we commercialize be suitable for use in supplements as well as functional foods/beverages.”

-http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/contents/view_online-exclusives/2009-10-23/stevia-for-brain-health/

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 3 13 1:08 PM

Hi everyone,
SO...
I live somewhere in South East Asia, where its hard to get weed. Long story short, my girl friend knew a guy that got her what he described as "artificial" or "chemical" weed. Truth is this guy has no idea what it is, and apparently the guy he gets it from doesn't know what it is either. It looks like a harmless green herb. It is labeled as "STEVIA sugarleaf pet nutrient". First time i smoked it, i had an extremely small fragment in a pipe, it went straight to my head and i got quite paranoid for a 15 minutes. When it calmed down, i could here this beating sound. The sound got louder and louder then a butterfly flew past my face... The sound i was hearing was the wings of the butterfly!!! Since that day i have become accustomed to the buzz and now really enjoy it, it's really amazing for zoning out and having visions and creative thoughts. Its basically a bit like some kind of high grade Sativa or something, very heady, not a bodily high. Anyway, I can't find much at all online about it. Ive never had such a potent herb ever.

Quote    Reply   

sativa

superstar

#14 [url]

Jul 3 13 11:19 PM

Hi!

Thanks for your experience report.

I no longer use stevia as traditionally it was used in Brazil as an anti-fertility plant, which basically means that it can make you sterile. There were experiments done on females rats showing this effect, but not male rats.

Personally, I respect traditional medicine and so don't intend to consume stevia at all!

I've heard it has possible weak NMDA antagonsism properties.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help