Remove this ad

Calamus washed extract produces decent mild psychedelic effects!

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

69ron

fanatic

Lead

Oct 16 07 5:00 AM

Tags : :

SWIM took the 10 grams of powdered calamus root that was previously washed with acetone and made a new cold water extraction from the same root material using 200 ml of water. Actually it was a room temperature water extraction not cold. He mixed it for 1 hour and then filtered it through 101 paper and then 103 paper. The liquid was amber. He added sweetener, a little vanilla, and a few drops of peppermint extract to make it taste better. It's wasn't bad actually.

Ok, now he drank it down in about 4 minutes and got a little nervous. He was worried he might get stomach hell again. That never happened though. Here's how it went so far:

T+0:00, the extract was taken orally. There was a mild numbing effect noticed. Hmmm, SWIM didn't except that. He assumed all the active would have been already removed by the acetone. Apparently not!
T+0:15, there's a mild numb feeling in the body. Nothing much else is felt.
T+2:30, the effects are now very obvious. SWIM feels a pleasant stimulant effect and things look very slightly swirly. Hmmmm. That was NOT expected at all!
T+3:00 (as I'm writing this down), SWIM feels FANTASTIC! He feels like he had a small dose of mescaline. It is a SUPERB BEAUTIFUL FEELING! There is NO NAUSEA, just bliss and stimulant effects very similar to mescaline/MDMA, and very minor visual effects! WOW!

Alright, so that was NOT expected at all. What accounts for this? What the heck?

As I'm writing, SWIM is feeling it. It is just blissful. I'm not sure what to say about this. This is completely unexpected. I thought SWIM would either get no effects because the acetone washed everything away, or possibly the same effects just weaker. But NO! The effects are very different. They are MORE psychedelic! What the heck!

I'm at a loss here as to what's going on. Why is it more psychedelic. SWIM says it is SO MUCH LIKE A LOW DOSE OF MESCALINE that it's unbelievable. The euphoria is fantastic. The body feel is there. It's weak, maybe similar to about 40 mg of mescaline, but definitely very active with minor visuals.

I am amazed. I am blown away.

Apparently the GOOD STUFF in calamus is NOT ASARONE or beta-asarone, but something that is WATER SOLUBLE. The acetone dissolved the asarone and beta-asarone for sure. Those are both sedatives. There isn't the slightest hint of sedation felt at all. No nausea. All the unpleasant effects are GONE!

Folks, this is a breakthrough discovery. Calamus is MORE psychedelic after cleaning it with acetone. I don't now why but it is. I believe asarone or something else present actually counteracts the psychedelic effects of the desired water soluble compound in calamus that's the psychedelic.

I can't believe how fantastic SWIM feels. He just had a cup of coffee and it potentiated the effects quite a bit. It is SO BLISSFUL.

I hope this isn't a fluke. I hope this test is repeatable. SWIM will definitely try this one again.

These are the steps that lead to this fantastic experience:

1 - extract 10 grams of powdered calamus root with 100 ml of acetone by mixing for 3 hours. Filter off the acetone and discard it. Keep the powder. I believe this gets rid of the asarone and beta-asarone which are both sedatives that counteract the psychedelic effects of calamus, and also gets rid of the nausea causing crap, whatever that is.
2 - dry the powdered root until all the acetone is gone from the powder.
3 - extract the dry root with 200 ml of room temperature water for 1 hour. Strain and drink.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 16 07 10:00 AM

Its because of information like that that I'm on this forum. That information is gold.

Thanks for posting that.

That is on my list of future endeavors.

What do you think in the calamus is causing the effect?

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#2 [url]

Oct 17 07 4:08 AM

I'm not sure what's causing the effect. I don't think it's elemicin. Possibly it's acoramone or asarylaldehyde. Both look very interesting.

Quote    Reply   

69ron

fanatic

#4 [url]

May 8 08 8:29 AM

I used a vacuum filtration system with a cotton ball as the filter. That works very easily.

I realize a lot of people don't have vacuum filtration systems. You should be able to let the acetone drip off the calamus though a funnel with a cotton ball in the funnel. Just make sure the funnel is either metal, HDPE, or polypropylene plastic. Some plastic funnels will dissolve in the acetone. HDPE, or polypropylene plastic is fine.

To stir I used an electric hotplate stirrer and a magnetic stir bar. This is standard lab equipment. If you don't have that, just put it in a glass jar with a metal lid and shake it periodically. I think an hour soak with a few shakes here and there should be good enough.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 15 08 10:10 PM

SWIM needs some answers. She's been searching all over. For this Calamus wash she knows that SWIY used Acetone. SWIM understands that it needs to be 100% acetone with no additives. What brand Acetone did SWIY use? Was it the paint thinning kind or the cosmetic type?

SWIM has searched nearby stores and seen bottles labled 100% pure Acetone, but all of them had an extra ingredient: denatonium benzoate (DNB or Bitrex), an ingredient used to deter drinking poisonous substances by its bitter taste.
In frustration, SWIM picked up a bottle of Onyx Professional Acetone from the cosmetic section of Walmart, which does have DNB listed aside Acetone on the ingredients label (even though it is labeled pure 100% on the bottle).

Is this alright? Will it still perform a satisfactory wash? Will it make the Calamus very bitter to SWIM's tastebud's? Was the Acetone that SWIY used pure, or did it contain DNB as well? Is it possible to obtain pure Acetone without this added ingredient? SWIM has seen nothing on the net addressing this particular problem.
From the research that SWIM has done, she came to the conclusion that DNB itself is probably not very toxic, but still unsure. Of course, SWIM does not plan to use it until she gets some definite answers.
Any suggestions?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 16 08 1:00 AM

A.americanus is so strong chewed raw, I am literally weary of what it would do extracted. Maybe a good project for me over Summer!

Cosmetic type usually contains that bitter terrible-ness, go to the hardware store or your local emergency room.

YES, the emergency room. They usually have a local in-house pharmacy that carries all kinds of wonderful extremely pure solvents. For public retail sale. Albeit a bit higher priced than the hardware store, but you can get some things in there you cannot find anywhere else.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

sativa

superstar

#8 [url]

Feb 19 09 10:04 AM

@maclasch
Can't you get acetone from ebay? I'm in the UK and can get it pretty cheap and easily...

I'll be trying this in a few weeks time, will report back with results!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 10 09 11:42 PM

Calamus is a rather interesting plant. Similar to cannabis. It has a psychedelic side and an antipsychotic side. I am mainly interested in the antipsychotic. I love plants.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 11 09 12:12 AM

Ok, but what would this variation of calamus go well with, since calamus is a particularly effective enzyme inhibitor. Usually you guys say that it adds some other effects.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

May 31 09 2:14 PM

Personally I think that calamus have purely stimulating effects, not psychedelic effects.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9705009
In this study it's showed that water extract of japanese sweet flag (acorus graminei) is binding to dopamine receptors D1, and D2, it's also an GABAa agonist at muscimol and GABA binding side, but also at barbiturate binding site. The latter is clear in this study:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3199944/?tool=pubmed
I was chewing root of common sweet flag (acorus calamus), just a few chunks from local herb shop (without swallowing them; it would cause nausea), and I've got some pretty stimulant effects, almost without any nausea. Also the main active substance is beta-asarone, the alpha asarone is inactive.

Quote    Reply   

toastus

fanatic

#12 [url]

May 31 09 4:06 PM

Personally I think that calamus have purely stimulating effects, not psychedelic effects.
[url]
In this study it's showed that water extract of japanese sweet flag (acorus graminei) is binding to dopamine receptors D1, and D2, it's also an GABAa agonist at muscimol and GABA binding side, but also at barbiturate binding site. The latter is clear in this study:
[url]
I was chewing root of common sweet flag (acorus calamus), just a few chunks from local herb shop (without swallowing them; it would cause nausea), and I've got some pretty stimulant effects, almost without any nausea. Also the main active substance is beta-asarone, the alpha asarone is inactive.

-bluewolf

The gamma form is what we're mainly focusing on here, as it's the form theorized to metabolize into an active psychedelic. The gamma form is more rare, but it is there.

It's good that you can experience beta-asarone without getting any nausea. That's pretty hard for most people! ;)

Also, some varieties of calamus have low beta asarone and high alpha and gamma asarone. Sometimes I like to (arrogantly) believe that this is the "true" calamus, since it would cause little nausea and the strains that do this are all non-polyploidy strains (did I say that right? I don't know). But at the very least it means there are several kinds of calamus and the different kinds will cause different effects. Alpha-asarone, being a propenylbenzene, could possibly boost the production of the psychedelic from gamma-asarone. We're still not sure on exactly how all this works so I guess it's all theory for now.

So calamus also activates D1, D2, and GABA-A receptors? That's pretty cool, that means those are also effects of the whole calamus plant. So, if the molecules that actually do these actions are getting into the brain (which it is possible they aren't), then I would expect a little hint of salvia-like flavoring from the D2 agonism, some dopamine-like effects from D1 agonism (well, really activating all the dopamine areas of the brain, so you could say something like apomorphine/blue lotus), and a little bit of amanita muscaria from the GABA-A agonism. It would probably be pretty difficult to pinpoint these effects unless you're really sensitive to changes in your mental and bodily state.

That's what I like to hear, the total effects of a substance/plant that separate it from the rest. Like how psilocin highly activates 5-HT1A, causing a lot of MDMA-like feelings of sociability and euphoria. Other psychedelics don't do that as much as psilocin, which is one of the things that sets it apart.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 4 09 7:45 PM

The thing with D2 agonists is that they will activate chemoreceptive trigger zone more when they are in stomach. For example when you use nicotine pills with 1mg, and swallow them you'll get bad nausea, but if you smoke one cigarrette (which gets you ~1mg of nicotine to the bloodstream) it won't cause it.

I observed that lower doses of calamus are more stimulating, and higher are sedating, but it's still stimulating, though the sedative effect overpowers it. It isn't powerful, it's rather mild, and the more you chew it along the day, the weaker it becomes. When you chew it in few days in a row, it also gets weaker, tachyphylaxis comes in, and you need to take some break from it. I would even think that it' s got some addictive potential, because it's a dopamine, and GABA agonist.

Different varieties of calamus, have different substances. And I've been using the European "carcinogenic" variety. Acorus gramineus (Japanese variety) contains 49% methylchavicol, which is acording to this forum a psychoactive.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15721942

triploid
A. calamus (European variety) were characterized by a higher percentage of beta-asarone (11%), which was the main compound, followed by higher percentages of camphene (2.27%), E-beta-ocimene (3.28%), camphor (1.54%), calarene (1.42%), alpha-selinene (5.02%) and tau-cadinol (2.00%)

diploid A. calamus (American variety) had higher percentages of iso-shyobunone (8.62%), beta-sesquiphellandrene (3.28%), preiso calamendiol (22.81%) and acorone (26.33%), and completely lacked of beta-asarone

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 17 12 7:51 PM

Acorus gramineus syn. A. tatarinowii is used in Chinese traditional medicine. It (the oil and decoction) has antiepileptic, anti-convulsive, anti-diarrhea, effects and can balance the excitatory and inhibitory amino acids in brain. It contains 2,3% Methyleugenol, 4,4% cic-Methylisoeugenol, 0,8% trans-Methylisoeugenol, 4,5% gamma-Asarone and 66,1% beta-Asarone and traces of Isoacoramone, cis-Epoxyasarone and others. It heightens sexual desire, works as an antiseptic analgesic, nervous system stimulant, perception-altering, antispasmodic digestive, increases the hypnotic effect of barbiturates and alcohol and can be hallucinogenic.
Some compounds in the essential oil are potent antagonists of NMDA-receptors on the PCP-site (like Ketamine):
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11253173
and
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11025136
The extract was also tested positive for specific binding to striatal dopamine D1 and D2 and GABA A- receptors.
A korean alcoholic beverage with it is called liquor of the immortals, having similar effects like absinthe and in old China it was used in shamanism.

Calamus for sure has NMDA-Antagonism properties... and D1/2 agonism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11025136

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11253173

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help