Remove this ad

Smokeable Plants and Instructions on Preparation (List/Link)

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Jun 21 11 9:55 PM

Tags : :

Happened upon this document while searching about potentially using the beautiful violets out right now in a smoking blend:

Herbal Smoking Mixtures

Here's a list of some plants found in there:

"Willow Bark, Salix sp.

Dogwood Bark,Cornus sp.

Kinnikinnik,
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Manzanita,
Shrubby Arctostaphylos sp. 

Madrone,
Arbutus menziesii

Blackberry,
Rubus sp.

Horehound, 

Marrubium vulgare

Coltsfoot,

Tussilago farfara

Elephant's Head,

Parrot's Beak,

Indian Warrior, 
Pedicularis sp.

Angelica,  Angelica sp.

Osha,

Oshala,

Lovage Ligusticum sp.

Sweet Cicely
Osmorhiza species"

There are more to be found if you feel like reading the whole thing as well good tips for preparation and blending.  

Any experiences you all have with the plants mentioned would be cool, or just general thoughts on smoking blends.

And since my original intention had to do with violets, any experiences using violets for smoking blends?

-NG

Last Edited By: NeonGolden Jun 21 11 10:04 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 21 11 10:56 PM

I've seen this site before. It's a really nice compilation of more esoteric smoking herbs. I've tried a few of the plants in that document.

I can attest that red osier dogwood bark (Cornus sericea) is a nice smoking herb. There are claims in the ethnobotanical literature that it was used as a substitute for opium. The effects are no where near that strong, but there are definite effects. It combines well with catnip, which compliments it by having effects that are more psychological and centered in the head compared to the more physical effects of red osier dogwood. We have at least one good thread about this plant on this forum.

I've smoked Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) once. I didn't notice any effects although I found that it had a nice flavor and burned well. I've still never tried smoking blackberry, willow, horehound, or sweet cicely, although these are all pretty common in my area.

I have smoked two species of Pedicularis - P. canadensis and P. lanceolata. These are two of my favorite smoking herbs. They are pretty strong, burn well, and have a nice flavor. I would just like to say that if you happen to see these plants, please only harvest small amounts. They can be relatively rare in some areas.

Another herb mentioned in that document is skullcap. This is another favorite of mine. Scutellaria galericulata is pretty strong, but no where near as strong as Cannabis. And I would say that using it for tea is nicer since the effects last longer. The taste of the tea is super bitter though.

As for violets, I've never smoked them but I've eaten them. The leaves can be used in salads. But they get a little tough with age. The flowers have a nice delicate taste. I assume that if you can eat them then you should be able to smoke them without any worries. But I've never heard of anyone smoking them. Do report back if you try this. I have a feeling they aren't psychoactive, but they might good for flavoring or as a base. Most flowers smoke well.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 21 11 10:59 PM

Oh yeah, I've also tried lobelia, mugwort, and a few others mentioned in that document. Lobelia is probably the most potent of any smoking herb I've tried, but once again, I prefer it as a tea. It is also really potent orally so 1g of the herb could easily be enough. Maybe even too much for a lot of people.

Mugwort never did much for me, but I've never seriously experimented with it.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 22 11 4:35 PM

powerfulmedicine wrote:
Oh yeah, I've also tried lobelia, mugwort, and a few others mentioned in that document. Lobelia is probably the most potent of any smoking herb I've tried, but once again, I prefer it as a tea. It is also really potent orally so 1g of the herb could easily be enough. Maybe even too much for a lot of people.

Mugwort never did much for me, but I've never seriously experimented with it.

you want to be careful with mugwart it can seem like nothing but if used in the right ways with the right preperation and admixtures mugwart can be a magical awakening inducer comparable with say aya, or iboga. when i say magical awakening i just mean it can open your eyes to seeing things from a different perspective long term not just for a few days afterwords.

when you say lobelia if you mean indian tabaco then it as well is in the same frame as the above mentioned, when the variables on its consumption, preperation, intention etc etc are done correctly indian tabaco can induce extremely strong and long lasting ego death, and or depersonalization, and or derealization.

for me indian tabaco has to be always micro dose in whatever mix i put it into, this is because i have taken lobeline with black pepper 15 minutes after taking inhibitor 6B and made it cycle in waves for 8 hours. this was extremely unpleasant because i was not expecting the body load and ego death and extreme time dilation. (cold water and ice cubes and cold air help manage the intensity a lot)

cycling lebeline has what i would call a very high platue with rolling waves pulling you higher onto another platue into void and the waves build to this peak void wave usually around 30-45 minutes long this usually happens around 3-5 hours in. i do not remember the dose but i did dose quite high and that is a factor to be considered.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 22 11 5:02 PM

User name, I'd love to hear more about your experience with lobelia and mugwort, especially since you seem to be able to get such strong effects from them. I've held off on working with mugwort because I've heard that it can be a strong ally and I wanted to figure out a comprehensive way to work with it when I had more time.

I could also see Lobelia being really strong if it were possible to get past the nausea of high doses. I've personally never used a really high dose, but I plan on working with this herb more in the summer. Perhaps Datura and/or lemon oil could be used to combat the nausea. I wonder if high doses of Lobelia are similar to high doses of tobacco used by shamans in South America.

You should make some new threads about these topics.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jun 27 11 10:53 PM

I've had mixed experiences with lobelias
I've taken up to 60 drops of an purchased ethanol based extract
It has the perfect mix of stimulant and depressant effects. A very unique feeling that I can only compare to a nicotine buzz
there was not as much nausea as I was expecting. Lobelias are well known emetics

As for indian tobacco, after smoking a few bowls of leaves and flowers I started getting a good buzz and felt very lightheaded
It then quickly shifted into heavy nausea I gagged a few times but didn't puke I had to lay down and close my eyes for about 10 minutes
I was too busy fighting the nausea to enjoy the altered state. I feel if you were to continue smoking the plant enough to induce purging It would be mildly hallucinogenic

A specific type of lobelia called 'devils tobacco' or Lobelia tupa is known to be fully hallucinogenic. I cant find any reports of anyone using it though
It be interesting to try, Im assuming its a powerful emetic

Im a big fan of mugwort, It smells very much like cannabis but more floral and slightly spicy, Thats probably my favorite thing about it.
You get very mild psychoactive effects off it, I've noticed an increased sense of creativity and i'm put in this daydreamy state of mind
It would be incredible with a psychedelic like LSD
The plants true power is in its oneirogenic effects. Not as powerful or as 'psychedelic' as the dream herb
but you have incredibly vivid and clear dreams that are very easy to remember. Id highly recommend it for anyone trying to lucid dream

If you're looking for dream herb substitute out of plants you can easily find mix mugwort with coleus (there NEEDS to be a thread about coleus) to add a more psychedelic vibe

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 28 11 2:30 AM

A lot of great info in here so far.  Here are a few more things to throw around:-------------------------------------------powerfulmedicine- Since you said you liked skullcap a lot and said you were thinking about trying horehound, I figured include this snippet I cam across while researching horehound -------------------------------------------- "This plant is most commonly known as Wood Betony. Also Bishopswort and Stachys officinalis. Search for those names and you will find a wealth of information. It’s constituents are betonicine, stachydrine, trigonelline. All parts of the plant are active and it is not only good smoke, it is a great tea. It has a good synergy with Dwarf Skullcap Scutellaria nana."http://www.entheogen-network.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8838 <--on betocine/wood betony (link function not working for me right now).------------------------------------------------ That quote comes from a thread on betonicine which is apparently found in horehound and in higher percentages in wood betony.  Betonicine apparently may have some psychedelic potential (horehound as well)I was noticing also that you had mentioned pedicularis canadensis. Is this the same as stachys officianalis?They both seem to be referred to as wood betony.   How were the effects from the pedicularis?------------------------------------------------
http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/betowo35.html​ <----info on wood betony
-----------------------------------------------Anyone have experience with wood betony or horehound? Or betonicine containing plats in general?
-------------------------------------------Also wanted to share that I've finally started working with the violets I mentioned in the first post. Here is some initial info:--------------------------------------------WHITE VIOLETS- sweet pleasant aroma, nice taste.  went very nicely fresh rolled into a tobacco cigarette.  possible brightening of colors upon smoking (placebo possible). slight numbness of mouth after smoking and eating several of the small fresh flowers (again, placebo possible or unrelated).--------------------------------------------PURPLE WOOD VIOLETS- these larger purple violets have a less pleasant texture in the mouth and also a less appealing fresh smoke.  this might seem the best candidate for curing.  Get the feeling there’s a lot of flavor in there that needs to be developed.  No effects noted when smoked fresh.---------------------------------------------
Some other flowers were calling my name while I was out picking the violets:------------------------------------------------- GROUND IVY-really nice, blueish-purple flowers, great scent coming off of a nice patch. Subtle, delicate scent. The cumulative aroma of all the flowers is quite strong.  No effects noted though leaves are reported sedative and medicinal.  The leaves are delicious, quite minty and fragrant.   Haven't smoked any leaves  yet.
--------------------------------------------http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea <----info on ground ivy----------------Anyone have any tips for curing these various flowers for smoking? I'm planning to let them cure and turn brown then dry mostly as in the link in the original post.   Any tips would be appreciated.  I'm just wondering if the the process applies to most/many flowers.
-----------------------------------------
Alklaoid Lovin- I know you have some experience with flower curing for smoking purposes.  Any thoughts? Experiences? Favorites? Also your description of Lobelia Tupa sounds quite intriguing.  I'll be looking into that one.
-------------------------------------------
user name-  I enjoyed reading your accounts of working with mugwort and indian tobacco.  You seem to have figured out a great deal about metabolization, enzymatic activity etc.  You've helped make this forum a great source of information in these areas.
-------------------------------------------
reflexion-Great to see another new member! Interested to hear your experiences!
-------------------------------------------------
Sorry my post is kind of all over the place.  Just wanted to report back on the violets and throw a few more smoking tid bits/questions out there.
-------------------------------------------Not trying to redirect the thread.  I've been following along with great interest and would love to see more discussion on mugwort and indian tobacco.------------------------------------------

-NG EDITED to reword/reformat.  Sorry for all the lines.  It seems to offset the formatting issues I've been havingRE-EDITED: It didn't help hah. Not sure what's going.  Giving up on editing this one.

Last Edited By: NeonGolden Jun 28 11 7:21 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 2 11 11:55 PM

NeonGolden wrote:
That quote comes from a thread on betonicine which is apparently found in horehound and in higher percentages in wood betony.  Betonicine apparently may have some psychedelic potential (horehound as well)I was noticing also that you had mentioned pedicularis canadensis. Is this the same as stachys officianalis?They both seem to be referred to as wood betony.   How were the effects from the pedicularis?------------------------------------------------

Some Pedicularis species are referred to as wood betony but they are not at all related. I will say that they look very similar though. I've never seen Stachys officinalis before, but if I had, I might have mistaken it for a Pedicularis at first.

Pedicularis makes a really nice smoke and tea in my opinion. They are among the most potent of the smoking herbs I've tried. The effects aren't as strong as Cannabis can be, but there is a similarity to low doses of Cannabis. It has a nice mix of sedation, calming, slight euphoria, and feelings of pressure and warmth in the head.

This thread has some much cool stuff going on in it. But I think we should use this thread more as a starting point for more threads. Each herb that we've discussed so far could make an awesome thread on it's own.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help